This is a quaint little spot to come up with our own vision of what a Hall of Music (fame?) would look like. It may or may not represent the vision of the masses, but we're really only here to learn about music we may have overlooked, share our thoughts about the history of songs and artists and listen to some damn fine tunes. All the gathered authors of the posts are, in one fashion or another, intelligent people that have some semblance of musical knowledge. Experts we are not, but eager we be.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

KK's 1950 Nominations


I submit Doris Day as my first nomination...because I like her, because I AM Doris Day, in that innocent childlike what I wish I could be like kind of way. What influence did she have on future musicians...I don't know and I don't care much either. Whether she's inducted or not...I'm submitting her. A few pre 1950's tunes for you to enjoy. The second one is one of my faves!

My Dreams Are Getting Better All the Time

Love Somebody
Sentimental Journey
A Bushel and a Peck





I nominate Jo Stafford...an amazing voice with perfect pitch! As far as pop jazz standard vocalists go she's one of my favorite female crooners. Her contributions include her own recordings but also all the studio and 'behind the scenes' work on some of the great late 40's movie soundtracks etc. including teaching Astaire note syncopation. Who knows...maybe without Cinderella G. Stump (Jo's comedic alter ego) Weird Al wouldn't have made a career as a music parody artist. HA! I'm sure that's a stretch but none the less I admire her humility in that she could sing a beautiful ballad and then butcher it for laughs. A few songs to enjoy.

Sunny Side of the Street
Feudin' and a Fightin'
The Gentlemen is a Dope



I'm not sure who said that Bluegrass is the forefather of American Punk Rock but they were super smart! Thus I submit him as a must in our hall...as punk music is what spurred our friendships! That and as a child my family took lots of road trips. Bill Monroe was ALWAYS in the tape deck.

Six White Horses
Mule Skinner Blues
Dog House Blues
Bluegrass Breakdown






So many jazz greats to choose from...hard to narrow them down. But I nominate Armstrong because I love trumpet and scat and because it's well known that his talent transcended the lines of racial segregation allowing him into social acceptance in the upper echelons regardless of his skin color. I read somewhere that Armstrong invented 'scat'...I doubt that's true but he did make it popular. Be bop, ditty, doooo!

I wonder
Alexander's Ragtime Band
St Louis Blues
Heebie Jeebies






Again...only five to choose and so many I'd like to submit. Ellington was already submitted by Dave so I'm tossin' the King of Swing into the hat. Man...for a white boy, dude's got some rhythm! :-) Goodman also was one of the first band leaders to again cross segregation lines by having a racially mixed band a significant statement for the time. And of course when I was in the 4th grade...I had a solo. It was called the Kingdom of Swing. I heart you Benny and your be-bob ways.

Sing Sing Sing
(don't worry Prima...your nomination is coming)
Roll 'Em
Stompin' at the Savoy
King Porter Stomp



I am sorry for not posting actual down-loadable versions but this was much quicker! If you want music from one of my AWESOME suggestions....ask Matt he's in charge of music at our pad.

2 comments:

  1. I think Doris Day would definitely make my list too, but I hadn't considered Louis Armstrong... this just gets harder and harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to name Goodman on my list for he inspired me to play the Clarinet. Yeah, Prima nomination is a given. Great post, lots of fun, this is what I envisioned! wOOt!

    ReplyDelete